This Year’s Spring Play: You Can’t Take it With You

After a long tradition of using Shakespearean spring plays, East’s theater department first broke the chain last year with Neil Simon’s Fools. This spring, the deviation continued, with the 1936, Pulitzer-winning You Can’t Take it With You, a three-act comedy following a sane young woman trying to keep her zany family members from driving away her fiancé when he comes to visit. Theater director Tara Moore elaborates that the reason she and assistant theater director Nate Mares chose this particular play was its positive message.

“It has this idea that each person should be individual and embrace whatever makes them unique even if society might find that to be strange or different.” says Moore.

Callbacks took place last Thursday, and as of today, the cast list has been finalized, and Moore admits that making these decisions was a lengthy ordeal.  

“We had over 65 students audition for this show, which is, in the three years I’ve been working in the theatre department, more than we have ever seen.” says Moore. “It’s an overwhelming turnout, and with so much talent that it made this casting process harder than any previous one.” 

This intense consideration should make for an outstanding outcome. Performances will run from April 7-9 at 7pm.