Lincoln East High School's home of Spartan news

Math Club!

Math Club!

Personally, I have never particularly favored my math classes. I always looked forward to my english/writing classes, hence the reason why I’m on The Oracle staff. In the interest of showing all of our loyal online readers something other than East High football or any other sport for that matter, I introduce you to the East High Math Club!  

Writing on a more obscure club that goes on around East High was definitely interesting to say the least.  While looking into Math club, I found out that the National Online math competition has started.  This competition is done completely online and individuals answer various math questions and then get a composite score as a team.  East high’s math club students compete with teams all throughout the U.S.

“It’s really fun and exciting especially when you win against other schools!” Says sophomore Crystal Xu.

In addition to the kick off of the online math competition East’s Math Club will also be participating in the UNO/UNL math days.  This competition is held at The University of Nebraska-Lincoln(November 17) and The University of Nebraska-Omaha(October 28) campuses where high school students from all over Nebraska compete against each other in multiple rounds.  Each student takes a test and judges compare their scores, then the top forty students scores will advance to round two that has even more difficult math problems students have to solve.

“It’s fun getting to know different students from different schools that I wouldn’t normally meet.”  Xu explained.

All in all, I’d say our mathletes are off to a great season of representing East High!  Be sure to check out the results of both UNO and UNL math days on the LPS website as those dates approach.