Lincoln East High School's home of Spartan news

East Girl’s Golf takes on State

Lincoln East Girl’s Golf team after the State tournament.

On Monday, October 10th and Tuesday, October 11th, our Lincoln East Girl’s Golf team competed in the State Tournament in Norfolk, NE.

The team, Caroline Startzer, Maddie Green, Regan Sankey, Sophie Gengenbach, and Allison Larson, coached by Brian Bullington, competed for the gold earlier this week.  They finished day one shooting a 393 as a team.  Startzer lead them the team the first day with a 90.

On he final day, the competition really heated up.  But, in this situation there was no heat, unless you took a stroll into the club house. The weather was almost unbearable for what should’ve been a nice fall day.  The temperature was around 50 degrees, with wind that made it a 40 degree wind-shield.  With this weather, you could tell it was affecting some of the golfer’s games.

During the final day, the golf team shot a 398, putting them in 11th place, out of 12 teams, to finish the tournament.

“I thought we had a good season despite some challenges and we’re happy to make it to state!” said Regan Sankey, number three on the gold team.

Caroline Startzer ended up shooting a 177, adding the scores from both days. She grasped the 16th spot, one spot shy of receiving a medal.

Making it to the state tournament is a goal for each high school sport’s team, and our girl’s golf team met their goal. Let’s see if they perform the same goal next year!