Lincoln East High School's home of Spartan news

Prep’s Christmas in the Cage Wows Spartan players and fans

An overlook of Preps Christmas in the Cage game, which was a capacity crowd.  (Photo Courtesy of Creighton Prep)
An overlook of Prep’s Christmas in the Cage game, which was a capacity crowd. (Photo Courtesy of Creighton Prep)

(Omaha, NE)–Last Saturday’s basketball game was chalked up as a 72-65 loss for the Spartans against No. 2 Creighton Prep.  But the result of the game was the least of the headlines on this night.  This game was Creighton Prep’s annual Christmas in the Cage game, which made for an atmosphere unlike anything seen before in high school basketball.  

Christmas in the Cage is a tradition at Prep, that started years ago.  It is known for its halftime show– a skit/scrimmage put on by students between presents and a nativity scene.  This event started with the game being held in Prep’s JV gym, but as popularity grew the game was moved to the main gym.  Even still, the gym is always filled to capacity for this festive event.  It is as loud, intense, and entertaining as any crowd there is for high school basketball.  

Coming into this game, the Spartans knew it would be a hostile environment.  Prep’s Heider Center was completely full 30 minutes before the varsity game even started.  Both teams came out shooting well, but Prep was ultimately the better team on this night and pulled away for the seven point win.  Even with the loss, the East basketball team still enjoyed the raucous environment.  

“That game was the most fun I’ve ever had playing basketball.  It was such a cool atmosphere,” said Senior forward Pete Ackerman.  

This game was just a small chapter in East Boys Basketball’s long season.  But being there to witness this game was something incredible.  The organization of this event with all of its little tactics to entertain and humor the crowd is something that very few high schools could pull off.  The basketball season will go on, but this game will certainly not be forgotten by this team, or any Spartan fans in attendance.