Spartan Girls Basketball

Lincoln East’s varsity girls basketball team has some big shoes to fill.  The 2016 NSAA Class-A state champions have adjusted to losing star point guard, Grace Barry, and are currently ranked 10th in Class-A with a 7-5 record.  The Spartans are coached by Dennis Prichard, in his 11th season at East.  Prichard was the 2016 winner of The World-Herald’s Nebraska girls high school coach of the year award.  

This years team is led by juniors Alli Roh and Regan Sankey.  The two combine to form the Spartan’s frontcourt, and have increased their productivity from last season to create one of the most dangerous frontcourts in the state.  

Despite the outside pressure to repeat as state champions, Prichard and his team are focused on getting better and playing to their strengths.  Prichard acknowledges the differences between this year’s team and last years, and encourages his players to face the challenges of a long season.

“Whether we have the success we had last year or not, it isn’t as important as the opportunity our girls have to encounter and react to those challenges that develop over the course of the season,” said Prichard.

East plays top ranked Millard South (13-1) this Friday at Lincoln East High School.