Spartan Spectacular

This weekend, on January 28th, more than twenty show choir groups from three states (Nebraska, Iowa, Oklahoma) will pack up loads of equipment, pile into cars and buses, and travel to Lincoln, Nebraska to compete at East High School in the annual show choir competition: “Spartan Spectacular.” This is the 2nd year for East High to host this event and it is no simple task.

“Spartan Spectacular” is just one of the many nation wide show choir competitions. Such events have been going on for nearly 40 years. With 22 show choir groups from nine different high schools coming, there is a large variety of people competing in this long running tradition. Lincoln Southwest and Norris are our closest competitors. While one of the furthest schools are coming all the way from Broken Arrow, Oklahoma. Other towns include Gretna, Papillion LaVista, Blair, and Grand Island. Along with Iowa City West and Marion, a suburb of Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

There are four divisions within the competition: Women’s, Prep, Small School, and then Large School Division. Within each division, groups will perform for a panel of expert teachers and choreographers, who judge and determine awards. There are two stages of competing. The daytime round, where the top six groups are selected to perform in the Finals, the second round, later that evening. Special awards are also rewarded to the day’s Best Female Soloist, Best Male Soloist, Outstanding Band, Outstanding Choreography, and Outstanding Vocals.
The whole event is not only to bring together a massive group of show choir talent, but also as a way to help the East Music Department. “We host this event as a fundraiser for the East Vocal Music Program,” Brett Epperson, the director of Show Choir and the “Spartan Spectacular”, says. “Funds raised from “Spectacular” help pay for things like bussing to and from competitions, guest clinicians, and having new music written for the East choirs.”