Lincoln East High School's home of Spartan news

Husker Football Recruiting and the “Calabraska” Movement

On Wednesday, February 1st, it was national signing day all around the country.  This day was one of the most coveted days of the year for college recruiters, as they finally see what talent they’ll be getting the upcoming.  High school athletes of any sport sign to continue their academic and athletic careers at the colleges of their choice.  Some kids wait until the final day to make their choice, while some have been committed for months.  

Nebraska is a football state, and the one sport that almost everybody loves is football.  The Huskers will have a promising future because of their success in this year’s signing day.

Mike Riley and his coaching staff put together a strong recruiting class that filled some areas of need, and also featured a couple of surprises.  The 2017 class is the best recruiting class since the Huskers joined the Big Ten, as well as one of the best they’ve had in the past decade.  Nebraska got top recruits from all around the country including states like Texas and even Delaware.  Nebraska has found a gold mine of recruits in California and have started a pipeline there.  Calabasas High School is in the suburbs of Los Angeles and is where the “Calabraska” movement started.

Keyshawn Johnson Jr. was one of the biggest recruiters that Nebraska had because he is one the best receivers in the class.  Nebraska signed 5 total recruits from California, including Elijah Blades and Tyjon Lindsey.  Lindsey is a dynamic playmaker and is rated the 6th best receiver in the country.  Elijah Blades is a 6’3” lockdown corner who has lots of speed.  He is the 16th best cornerback in the class.  Nebraska also strengthened up it’s D-Line with two big commitments from Deiontae Watts and Damion Daniels.  

The Huskers also made a splash of a hire when they hired Bob Diaco.  He was the defensive coordinator for Notre Dame from 2011-2013.  During his time, the Irish had one of the best defenses in the country.  In 2012 they allowed only two rushing touchdowns.

Nebraska’s 2018 class is looking even better, and they already have two 4 star commits.  Brendan Radley Hiles is one of the best recruits in the 2018 class, and he has a great bond with the coaches and has a love for the campus.  He also has lots of friends in the 2017 class that are going to be enrolled.  

The success of the Huskers this season can determine their success in recruiting next year.  But, the Huskers are close to getting back to the glory days.