Lincoln East High School's home of Spartan news

Spartan Wrestling Gets Ready for State

Lincoln East varsity wrestlers qualified 13 of 14 wrestlers for the state tournament during districts at Millard North High School on Saturday, February 11.  East fought through adversity to beat higher ranked opponents, and made a resonating statement for the program.  The Spartans qualified the second highest amount of wrestlers, only Kearney, who won districts, qualified more.

East was led by senior Grady Greenwood, who won his first ever tournament in his first year at Lincoln East, while juniors Grant Lyman and Peyton Aipperspach defeated ranked opponents.  Freshman Max Mayfield has impressed throughout the season, and pinned his ranked opponent in his district final.  Sophomore AJ Muthersbaugh placed 3rd in his respective weight class.

East head coach Jeff Rutledge is impressed with his team and the character they showed.  He credits his team’s success to the attitude and work ethic they show, beginning with each practice.  Rutledge is excited for state, and only asks his wrestlers to take advantage of the opportunity.

“Our expectation is to compete hard and let the results take care of itself,” said Rutledge.  “We feel like this team is peaking at the right time and our best wrestling is yet to come.”

Lincoln East will begin state competition on Thursday, February 16 through Saturday, February 18.