Upcoming Marijuana Forum

It’s no shock that marijuana is becoming more and more prevalent in society.  And with the increase of usage some community members are holding a public forum, open to anyone and everyone to express different opinions on the subject. “The purpose of the forum is to increase awareness of trends in use by adolescents, the effects of marijuana use on a youth’s developing brain, the increase in potency of marijuana, new modes of delivery and mixed messages our youth are receiving surrounding legalization and the medicinal use of marijuana.” states deputy Jeremy Schwarz(courtesy of LPS).  “I think they’re going to spell some of the myths, give more information about the ancillary things that can cause issues(i.e. Edibles,laced drinks/candies etc.), what to look for if you suspect someone is high/drunk(for parents, school professionals), preventative measures, and treatment options.” says East High’s SCIP team representative and counselor Mrs. Wilson Dunning(who will also be attending the forum).  The forum will be held at Lincoln Southeast High School on April 11, at 6:30 p.m.  Parents, students, school professionals and community members are all encouraged to attend the forum and share their ideas/opinions/question(s) on the ever growing topic of marijuana, drug and alcohol abuse.  Besides the general public, Deputy Jeremy Schwarz (with the Lancaster County Sheriff’s office) will be presenting; as he is a  Certified Drug Recognition Expert.  A discussion panel comprised of representatives from various treatment facilities, other law enforcement, school staff, the medical field, and talk of prevention will follow.

This is a great opportunity for parents and students alike to learn more about these certain behaviors that go along with drug/alcohol abuse and what action can be the most helpful.