Lincoln East High School's home of Spartan news

Spartan JV Girls Soccer Gets Shutout Win Over Knights

The Lincoln East JV girls soccer team beat city rival Lincoln Southeast 7-0 on March 27 at Seacrest Field.  The Spartans dominated offensively as freshman forward Jillian Altmaier scored three goals, completing a hat trick.  Sophomore goalie Amanda Finnell added a strong performance in goal to secure a Spartan shutout.

Sophomore forward and team captain Makenzie Haskins-Rowe scored two goals midway through the first half to begin the game and East’s offensive attack.  Freshmen Jillian Altmaier and Taylor Searcey combined to score three goals to end the first half, with East leading 5-0.  Despite scoring opportunities, the Knights continued to come up short.  The Knight defense persisted to struggle, as Searcey scored again to begin the second half.  Altmaier scored her third goal of the night with 31:17 left to play.  The Spartan defense remained consistent throughout the game, led by freshman Gracie Dailey.

This is a big win for the Spartans, considering the Knights were thought to be one of the better teams on their schedule.  Nonetheless, the Spartans put their undefeated record on the line and played with a chip on their shoulder.

“When we play teams like Southeast or Southwest, we focus on shooting and conditioning during the practices leading up to the game,” said Haskins-Rowe.

With the win, the Spartans improve to 4-0 on the season.  The Spartans have posted impressive wins over Lincoln Northeast, 11-0, and a shootout win over Pius X.  Haskins-Rowe hopes the Spartans will continue to play at the same level, and work to shutout opponents.

“We’re getting to know each other better, and improving our team chemistry will help us throughout the season,” said Haskins-Rowe.

The Spartans will compete in a dual match against Millard North and Omaha Westside on Saturday, April 8 at YMCA Spirit Park.