An Inside View on the State Speech Tournament

State Speech is a tournament unlike any other. Based in the nature of the activity, one might be led to imagine this tournament as an understated, lackluster gathering of likeminded orators. However, the tension felt at State Speech could be cut with a knife.

Once advancing past regional district tournaments students battle it out to “break” into a finals round and have a chance at being one of the top in the state.

Students compete in two preliminary rounds and then, with a low cumulative score, advance to the finals round. The tournament lasts a total of 8 hours, with students giving upwards of 6 speeches. As fickle as it sounds, this tournament is a marathon, full of students celebrating, and sulking.

This year tension was especially high, as Lincoln East and Millard North were in competition for the top spot. East was trying to keep their 15 year streak, and North was trying to get their first state win in 20 years.

Overall, Millard North had 15 breaks to finals and East had 9, with North mathematically winning no matter the outcome of individuals in finals.

I talked to a few of the competitors on North’s team, and they were understandably overjoyed. One saying “It was a great season, and both teams were fantastic. It was fun competing against them.”

The general consensus on the East team is: the streak had to end sometime. As nice as it would have been to win another state championship, Millard North was objectively a better team, and we are grateful for the wins we have had.

The legacy this team has left behind is unrivaled. Children being born this year would have to join a speech team when they entered high school to even begin to touch the streak that we have built.

Although the numbers are up, the legacy lives on. Those championships don’t go away. Our skills don’t fade. The most decorated speech team continues to grow and learn as orators, and you bet we will get them next year.