What The Techies Do – The Spring Play

The technical parts of a play are more important than those acting. Without lights and sound effects the mood can’t be set properly.  This year’s spring play, Epic Proportions, the techies are extremely important when setting the various scenes.

Helen Little, junior, is the Production Stage Manager of Epic Proportions. This isn’t her first play but this is her first time being in this role. Her job is to “coordinate everyone and make sure it all goes smoothly”. She calls cues for lights, sound, and she is a sort of ‘safety net’ to give people their cues, making sure everyone is where they should be. She is the overarching “head honcho”, but there are also individual people who are the supervisors of these areas.

In Epic Proportions Taylor Jarvis has the task of head Light Designer. She however isn’t the only light designer, she works alongside with the other light designers: Chynna Burgess, Laurel Nelson, and Alexandria Velder fill those roles.  These students are participating in the new class at East High, Technical Theater. These four students go to class and learn how and what special effects go into a play. They also learn how to make them better and more specialized toward this year’s play, Epic Proportions.  In the play Jarvis, along with Co- Designer sets up cues, decide how the lights in the show are going to work and how they should look. “This is my first show, and It’s been a really great experience” says Jarvis. Going to the play a person would never know she had never done this before as it was all professionally done.

Each individual role of those behind the scenes are extremely important to a play and how the moods are set. Epic Proportions has such a variety of lights and cues it is crucial when performing to ensure everything runs smoothly.