Excellence With Every Measure

Hundreds of band, orchestra, and choir students from the six LPS–along with Pius X– high schools attended the NSAA District Music Contest, hosted by Lincoln East High School, last week on Monday, April 10, 2017. Music has always had a major prevalence within the district, but East has the largest music department by far; Ten ensembles represented East while Southwest followed with eight groups.

When groups perform, three judges–music teachers or professors from the midwest– score the ensemble based on tone, intonation, precision, facility, balance, expression and a miscellaneous area. Ratings operate like golf because the judge can give a score from 1-5 (1 being the best) for each component, and the official rating is determined with the total of points given. A superior rating–also known as a 1– is earned when the group receives 7-10 points.

By extension, East’s ensembles truly fulfilled the legacy of “Excellence with Every Measure”–the Music Department’s motto– because seven out of ten earned the Superior rating, six of which received 1s from all the judges. In fact, East’s Symphony and Chamber Orchestras were the only orchestras in the district to receive a superior rating from all three judges.

The Chamber Strings Orchestra stands out because its members also played with the Symphony Orchestra. Twenty-three students successfully learned additional music, even with limited time. “We didn’t really have that much time. Mr.Whitman notified us around middle to late March, but our ensemble worked really hard as the time ticked down to contest.” said cellist Jesse West (11). The extra work wasn’t difficult for West because “In chamber strings, we all know each other and are able to work and get things done in relatively small time frames.” Members of the group were ecstatic to receive the superior score. The best part about this accomplishment is that they played without a conductor, having made the decision only two days prior.

Overall, District Music Contest was a major success for Lincoln East High School. Looking forward, the Symphony Orchestra is preparing for their elementary school tour to Eastridge, Morley, and Maxey while the bands will hold a final concert later in the spring. Even further forward, the Music Department will definitely maintain its excellence in years to come, even as the number of students continues to grow. Go Spartans!