Lincoln East High School's home of Spartan news

From The Audience to The Stage!

Lincoln East Sophomore Pierce Yates had the opportunity to perform with the Lincoln Civic Orchestra at Nebraska Wesleyan University’s Rogers Center for Fine Arts on Sunday, April 23, 2017. Though this concert was their final concert for the 2016-2017 season, this was Yate’s first show with this ensemble.

Yates sat amongst the audience for the LCO’s first concert back in November, so he was delighted to join group for the season finale.

( Yates also happened to be the interviewee for my article that covered the first concert. Link:https://lehsoracle.com/2016/11/09/the-lincoln-civic-orchestras-first-showcase-of-the-year/ )

In comparing the audience experience to the member experience, Yates declared, “It’s a lot more interesting to play the music. I know that when I’m listening to the music, I’m engaged, but the music isn’t really special to me. Playing it was a totally different experience; it was cool to have chemistry with the group and get to know the other cellists.”

Some of the strongest sources of jubilance that Yates felt when joining the group were the pieces selected for this concert; the program included the Video Games Live Suite arranged by Ralph Ford and a medley of Elvis Presley tunes–titled Tribute to The King– which featured a one of a kind tuba solo! This music repertoire created a perfect start to Yate’s participation with the Lincoln Civic Orchestra, and it was an outstanding closer for the season, overall. The rehearsals on Thursday nights added slight stress to his school life, but the joy he gets from playing music is completely worth it. Thus he can’t wait to continue playing with this orchestra in the coming fall!