The Moon Takes Over

Lincoln East science teacher Mr. Schmidt and his class take a break to gaze at the beginning of the eclipse on Monday, August 21st. All LPS schools took a break to watch the memorable event. Photo by Nick Rippe

On Monday, August 21, 2017,  the moon covered the sun for the first total eclipse in North America since 1979. All students, other than kindergartners,  in Lincoln Public Schools were allowed to participate in the viewing of the eclipse.

Most people expressed astonishment at the eclipse.  In Lincoln, the eclipse in totality lasted approximately one minute.  Further south from Lincoln, the eclipse lasted up to two and a half minutes.

A popular destination was Beatrice, Nebraska, only 43 miles from Lincoln and the center point for the eclipse.  Hotels in Beatrice had been sold out months in advance.  Even Bill Nye traveled to Beatrice to see the eclipse, where the totality was the longest in Nebraska.  

The moon eclipses the sun over Lincoln, NE on Monday, August 21, 2017.

Some students at East High School skipped out on a couple periods to travel south to see the eclipse for a few seconds longer.  One former East student, Faith Irvine, traveled south around Roca Berry Farms and reported the sky to be to cloudy to see the eclipse in action.  

The students here at East had better luck and were able to see the eclipse despite it being partly cloudy.  Some of the reactions heard were, “I’m excited to see day turn to night” – Chanci Buggi 11.  “Oh snap!” – Deshaun McGinnis 12.  “Oh, that’s sick.” – Lauren Turner 11.  Even teachers were excited for the eclipse, wearing glow in the dark t- shirts for the event.

To read more about The Nebraska Eclipse click here