2017 Lincoln East Blue White Scrimmage

Molly Olson, Atley Carey and Erin Morgan in last year’s blue and white scrimmage.

Lincoln East volleyball hosted their annual Blue and White scrimmage on Tuesday, August 22 in the South gym.  The 2017 varsity squad hit the court against the 2017 junior varsity squad.  

Last season, the JV team beat varsity in two sets, but weren’t able to capitalize this time around.  The two teams played close at the beginning of the first set, but varsity was able to pull away late, finishing JV off in two sets, 25-19 and 25-16.   

“Scrimmages are always a good time,” said varsity outside hitter, Erin Morgan.  “It’s the first time we get to play together as a team in front of a crowd.”

The Lincoln East varsity volleyball team looks to improve from last years season, 8-25, and are doing so with an entirely new roster.   Although varsity is primarily seniors and juniors, most of those players do not have varsity experience.  East returns junior outside hitter Erin Morgan, and sophomore middle blocker Atley Carey, but loses five seniors and four starters.  Junior, and three year varsity starter, Alex Lemke, recently committed to Drake, and looks to lead East to their first state appearance in over ten years.    

To kick off the regular season, both varsity and JV will play Saturday, August 26 at Seward.