Lincoln East High School's home of Spartan news

East varsity softball goes back to back in the LPS Invitational

The Lincoln East varsity softball team had a productive weekend in the LPS Invitational on Saturday, August 28 at Doris Bair Softball Complex in Lincoln. In pool one there was Gross, Norfolk, Lexington, and Lincoln East.

The first game against Gross showed how much character and determination the girls had to win the game. Starting off down 6-0, the girls had to come together to show their opponent that the game was far from over. After innings of battling, the Spartans came out on top winning 8-7. Senior pitcher Lindsay Elliott threw a complete game and finished the game with a win.

In the second game against Norfolk, the bats were hot. The Spartans got off to a quick 5-0 lead in the first to seal the game in five innings with a 8-3 win. Elliott threw another complete game helping her team advance and have a shot at winning their pool.

East’s third and final game of the day was against Lexington. The energy started off a little slow from the long day, but the Spartans pushed through to get a third, and final win of the day, 13-2. Senior left fielder Rachel Weber had a two-run home run in the top of the fifth inning. The winning pitcher was senior Madison Skiles. Freshman pitcher Pozye Rasmussen had her varsity debut, and came in for relief with two scoreless innings.

The Lincoln East softball team has a busy week coming up, with an away game in Beatrice at Hannibal Park Softball Complex on Monday, August 28 at 6:30, the annual “Pink Night” game against Lincoln High on Tuesday, August 29 at 5:00 at Doris Bair Softball Complex, and finally a road doubleheader to Kearney on Thursday, August 31.