National Honor Society

Secretary Isabelle Brundieck, Vice President Laura Francisco, and President Bryan Fitch pose with the bloodbank mascot for their first blood drive that was on Friday, October 27th. Photo by Angel Trinh.

East’s current chapter of the National Honor Society has been actively serving the community and the school, after inducting approximately 169 students last April.

In the early spring of each year, eligible junior and seniors across the district submit applications for entry into their high school’s National Honor Society for the following year. Southwest and East  were the firsts to have their induction ceremonies in April. Northstar followed with their ceremony in May. Students from the other three LPS high schools were notified whether or not the were accepted into the society at the end of the school year, but their inductions weren’t organized until the next school year, being as late as this past November.

National Honor Society is the nation’s premier organization to recognize outstanding high school students. NHS is more than just an honor roll, recognizing students who have demonstrated excellence in the areas of scholarship, service, leadership, and character. In order to apply, the student must have a minimum GPA of 3.5, volunteer experience, leadership skills, and a good record with the school.

East’s NHS chapter kicked off their year with their first meeting one morning in September. The leadership team– President Bryan Fitch, Vice President Laura Francisco, and Secretary Isabelle Brundieck– established the guidelines for maintaining the membership with NHS: attending monthly meetings, volunteering at least 5 hours per semester, and maintaining a high GPA.

The first big volunteer event that the NHS students attended was Huskers Helping The Homeless with Matt Talbot Kitchen during the football game on October 7th. By teaming up with fellow Spartans from Student Council and Key Club to bring over 70 helpers to the event, East regained the traveling trophy for having the most volunteers.

Laura Francisco, Bryan Fitch, and Isabelle Brundieck share announcements at the NHS meeting on a Friday morning in November. Photo by Angel Trinh

Another big part that NHS plays in the school is offering tutoring help to other students on Tuesdays from 2-3. Students around the building are welcome to request help in the counseling center by the Monday prior in order to get help in a wide range of subjects. Nearly 30 students are currently signed up to help with topics such as French or Spanish in addition to the basic math, English, and science skills.

I think NHS gets more involved each year, and I really want us to be an asset to the community. I believe the main purpose of NHS is to promote service to the community over self.

— Bryan Fitch

NHS students contribute to the community by hosting blood drive. President Fitch plans to have [2] blood drives throughout the year. The first one on October 27th was a success with about 70 people signed up to donate blood. Aside from the outstanding numbers of donors, students volunteered during the day to deliver passes, run the check-in table, and even act as the Blood Bank Mascot.

An NHS event that a lot of students look forward to is the Winter Formal, SnowDaze. Fitch and his team are organizing the dance which is planned for December 22nd to kick off the start of winter break. Their goal is to raise $3,000 for the year.

NHS has already had a tremendous semester and is looking toward a great year. Fitch has plans for NHS to take control of the Spartan Village–the school’s pantry– next semester. Operations might include a clothing/food/toiletry drive that would help families and students in need. He is also trying to partner with Matt Talbot’s kitchen to get more direct volunteer opportunities. “I think NHS gets more involved each year, and I really want us to be an asset to the community. I believe the main purpose of NHS is to promote service to the community over self.”