Show Your Talent

Photo by Luke Borgmann

Lincoln East’s varsity group, Express, performing for Show Choir Show Case. Photo by Luke Borgmann.

On Thursday, December 14 the East High Show Choirs performed their full shows for the first time.  East has three show choirs: the prep group, Elevation, the varsity women’s group, Elegance, and the mixed varsity group, Express.  The purpose of the show case was to give a rough draft of their show to family and friends before competition season starts up in January.  

This is the third year Elevation has been welcomed into the show choir family, and they’ve improved every year.  This year, the theme of their show is “Reaching for the Heights.” Songs included in the show are “Another Day of Sun” from the filmLa La Land”, “Shining Star” from the band Earth Wind and Sky, “Impossible Dream” from the musical “Men of La Mancha,” and “Nothing Can Stop Me Now” from Disney’s “Planes.”

Photo by Luke Borgmann
Lincoln East’s show choir prep group, Elevation, performing for Show Choir Show Case.

Elegance has won first in the women’s division in competitions several times and are poised to improve even more this year.  The show is based on honesty, with songs ranging the musical spectrum, from Imagine Dragons, Kiss Me Kate, Ben Rector, Aretha Franklin, and  Bon Jovi.

Photo by Luke Borgmann
Lincoln East’s varsity women’s group, Elegance, performing for Show Choir Show Case.

East’s varsity group, Express, has a history of doing very well in all their competitions.  This year they are doing a very unique theme for their show, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.  They have Turner Linafelter as Shredder, Cameron Self as April, and Matt Duhs, Micah Friesen, Chad Alexander Jordan Stoer as the Ninja Turtles.  They’ll be performing Radioactive from Imagine Dragons, Something New from Axwell & Ingrosso, Something About You from Lucius, Mack the Knife from Bobby Darin, Don’t be Afraid from the Don’t be Afraid Campaign, Hero from Pink Zebra, Warrior from Steve James, Kiss the Sky from Jason Derulo, and The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Theme Song.

Photo by Luke Borgmann
Lincoln East’s varsity group, Express, performing for Show Choir Show Case.

Every year the three show choirs go to competitions around the midwest.  Last year they went to one all the way in Totino Grace, Minnesota.  They would love if they’re fellow alumni came to watch them..  Here’s a list of their competitions this year:

• Saturday January 13, 2018
    • Papillion LaVista South High School
  • Saturday January 27, 2018
    • Lincoln East High School
  • Saturday February 3, 2018
    • Lincoln Southwest High School
  • Saturday February 24, 2018
    • Norris High School
  • Saturday March 3, 2018
    • Sioux City East High School
  • Saturday March 10, 2018
    • Millard North High School

For more information on times and other things, go to showchoir.com closer to the date of the competition.