Diving into Success

Three Lincoln East Dive team members have competed in the HAC State Diving Meet held at the Bob Devaney Sports Center, Coached by Katie Walls. Placing fifth in the state was our very own Spartan Abbi Rouse. Rouse prepares for the season with gymnastics and being apart of Nebraska Diving Club, and prepares for a dive by trying to relax. “It’s awesome to be number 5 in the state”, states Rouse. Rouse sets her goal to continue to improve over the next two years of her Spartan career.
Senior Maddie Tolly and sophomore Erin Mapson also made it to finals, placing right outside of top ten. Tolly recaps the season as, “We had a great season, it’s been a lot of fun. I am so glad I was able to spend my last season with these two girls.”
This year, 33 girls qualified to compete. To qualify, a diver must score a 300 or above at an eleven dive meet. State dive is as well and 11 dive meet with three rounds. The first round each diver gets five dives, and the bottom 13 are knocked; second round is 3 dives, knocking four more drivers; leaving the third round to be the finals.
Spectator Hayden Cashion described the meet as, “The atmosphere surrounding the competition is very intense with the dead silence followed by cheers or disappointing awes.”
There is no doubt that all Spartans are proud of these three divers.