Grace Barry and Spartans Take State

By Patrick Clare

Unknown-1

Late February in high school sports only means one thing: district basketball.  At this point, every team is five wins away from becoming a State Champion.  One legitimate contender on the girls side is the Lincoln East Girls.  The leader of this team, Senior Point Guard Grace Barry, has already had a great year.  

“Our biggest game of the year was our win against Millard West.  The whole team came together and played really well,” said Barry.

This was the game where the lady Spartans took down the then-#1 team in the state.  It proved that East was capable of taking down anyone in the state.  Last week, the Spartans were to host the A-7 district.  This district set up a final between East and Omaha Westside, the winner punching their ticket to state.  

“I personally think we can beat anyone in the state.” explained Barry, “What sets us apart is that we are 100% a team, and totally play as a team.”

This is exactly what the lady Spartans proved, as they took down Omaha Westside without a problem, 55-42.  Barry’s 20 points led East, as they qualified for the State tournament with the win.  The excitement for state can be felt around the school, especially from Barry.  

“It’s very exciting.  I always used to look up at the plaques (in the Spartans’ gym) and see the State Championships, and now we’re close to getting one of our own up there,” she said.  

Although the Spartans are the lowest seed in the Class “A” Bracket, they are looked at across the state as one of the favorites to win it all.  They are three wins away, and the suspense is building now more than ever.  
“I wouldn’t want to win a State Championship with any other team,” said Barry.