Governmental Opportunities

Governmental Opportunities

In East High’s Counseling Center, an opportunity for junior students awaits.  As second semester rolls around juniors are starting, if not already, zeroing in on their interests and potential careers beyond high school.  Those interested in government and politics may want to take the time to check out the center for the newest application addition.

This is the American Legion Cornhusker Boys’ and Girls’ State program.  This ‘convention’ runs from June fourth to June tenth.  It offers a chance for students to develop a sense of the Nebraska government, and the inner workings of the machine.  

Students spend a week on the UNL Campus, furthering their knowledge on both local and state governments.  The program includes students from all across the state, all staying on the campus.  

Students have the opportunity to run for office, create an address to the public, as well as pass and enforce laws.  It really gives students a chance at actual government workings.

The program though has a few specifications that narrow it down to certain students.  Some of the requirements include being in the top half of the junior class, a display of good citizenship as well as showing leadership skills.

Overall, the Counseling center has many opportunities like this one, and it would be quite a shame to let it slip out of your grasp.