Spartan Girls Swimming and Diving Prepares for HAC Championship

The Lincoln East girls swimming and diving team is preparing for the upcoming Heartland Athletic Conference swimming and diving championships this Thursday (2/9) and through Saturday (2/11) at Lincoln Southeast High School.  This meet is another opportunity for swimmers and divers to qualify to compete in the state competition later this month.  The Spartans already have four divers that have qualified for state, and they hope to add some swimmers to the mix.

East currently holds a 7-1 record, with their only loss coming to Lincoln Southwest.  The Spartans have battled with the Hawks throughout the season, coming in second in the city and in the Millard South Invite to the Hawks.  The success of the Spartans began with strong performances from their divers.  Junior diver Abby Rouse is ranked third in the state, and teammate Erin Mapson is ranked eighth.  The swimmers, too, boast top ten talent, ranking ninth in the 200 medley and seventh in the 400 freestyle relay.  Sophomore Marusha Ather ranks tenth in the 200 IM, and ninth in the 100 butterfly, while junior Makenzie Delgado ranks ninth in the 500 freestyle.

East head coach Ryan Rieker attributes the Spartans success to how hard his athletes have worked during the offseason, and at each and every practice.  “We have had a lot of girls swim personal best times untapered, which is very impressive considering how hard they have been training before and after school,” said Rieker.

East divers will compete Thursday in the HAC championships, followed by swimming preliminary and final rounds Friday and Saturday.  NSAA Class A state diving begins on February 23 at the Bob Devaney Sports Center.  State swimming is on February 24 and 25, also at the Devaney.