Lincoln East Speech and Debate Recap

The Spartan’s speech team finished the competition as runners up to champion’s Millard North

This years annual state speech and debate tournaments took place from March 23-25th.
The speech tournament was hosted by UNK, in Kearney. The tournament lasted from 9:30 am to 7:00 pm at night. The speech team faced some tough competition including; Millard North, Kearney, Lincoln Southwest.

As the speech tournament progressed there were two clear contenders for the state title, Lincoln East and Millard North. As the events came to a close Millard North pulled out the victory. The Spartans 16 year title streak was snapped despite a valiant effort by the Spartans.

Senior Miles Wilkins on the results, “If there was any team I’d want to see break the record, it would be them(Millard North), they’ve finished as runners up to us numerous times and they deserve to win.”

Some individual results include; Nebraska Grayson finishing first in Extemporaneous Speech, Miles Wilkins finishing second in dramatic speech and entertainment respectively, Ellie Woody finishing 4th in oratory speech, Nebraska Grayson,Jenna Tuckerman, Jacob Schoening finished as semifinalists in the OID team event.

The debate tournament started on Friday, March 24th and lasted through Saturday. East, led by returning state champion Ojus Jain, had high expectations following last year’s second place finish.

The Spartans finished as runners up to Millard North, who also took first last year. The spartan debaters had numerous individual awards and overall the team was happy with their performance.

Lincoln East senior, Andy Zhu stated, “I’m just glad I got to go compete with my friends, and although we didn’t finish as champions we should be proud of our effort as a team.”

Seniors, Andy Zhu and Keenan Allen took home second place in public forum while seniors, Ojus Jain and Sam Wismer finished as semifinalists in the event. Senior, Max Curry was named the top speaker in state. Nebraska Grayson, fresh off of winning a state championship in speech took home second place in the Lincoln-Douglas event. Sophomore, Ina Bhoopalam finished second in Congress and hasn’t finished worse than second place in all events this year.