Lincoln East High School's home of Spartan news

A Shortened Week? Great!

A Shortened Week? Great!

For two weeks in April, East High School will be experiencing a phenomenon known as a “compressed work week.” Due to hosting a music competition, the Easter Break, and a juniors-only ACT testing day, most students will be enjoying back-to-back shortened work weeks. But is the shortened work week truly advantageous?

43% of businesses have started to give their employees four day work weeks with three day weekends as the new norm. Through research it’s proven their employees are more likely to get work done because there is less time to do accomplish it with more incentive. Flexibility is key in this quickly moving world and it’s becoming easier to reach with the four day work weeks.  When businesses have such a work week, their employees hours are staggered so the shifts are always covered.  Along with flexibility a four hour week they also provide the moral of the workers to improve.

A study was done where nurses were given only six hours a day to work. The data showed these nurses were three times less likely to take off work than those with regular nurse hours. They were also happier and had more energy at work allowing them to do more with the time they had. These four day weeks are proven to help employees morale and amount of work productivity.

When there is less days in the week to work, there is more incentive to get work done quicker and more efficiently.