Behind the Scenes: Student Managers

Student managers are a special addition to the sports teams at Lincoln East that help both coaches and athletes stay focused and be successful.  The student managers are passionate about the sport they manage, and take the time to attend practices and games, as well as record statistics and help with drills.

Most of the student managers at East have either played the sport themselves, or have a family connection.  For sophomore varsity soccer manager Jessica O’Neill, who can no longer play soccer due to concussions, she enjoys being a team manager to stay connected to the sport.  O’Neill provides emotional support to her teammates, and views this opportunity to be very rewarding.

“Even though I can’t play I can still have fun,” said O’Neill.  “It’s kind of a learning experience that I can’t change things, but I can make the best of them.”

After tearing her meniscus during the summer, sophomore Haley Claussen still wanted to be a part of the East volleyball program, and became the JV student manager.

“I wanted to be a student manager to stay involved with the program,” said Claussen.  “I mostly helped out the coach (Nicole Gingery).  I would run errands for her, as well as take stats, record hitting averages, shag balls, and help with drills and warmups.”

Although these student managers would rather be playing, they have learned to persevere through their disposition, and to make the best out of it.  The Spartan community thanks the student managers and the time they sacrifice to help their athletes and coaches.