Lincoln East High School's home of Spartan news

Altruism and Ambassadors

As the school year comes to a close, we look to the future. We make plans for not only the summer, but for the upcoming school year. The 2017-2018 Ambassadors have been announced (as posted on the Counseling Center window), with nearly 125 Ambassadors for the year. Positions were open to those preparing to be upperclassmen next year.

However, we first need to examine what the Ambassadors program is, and what purpose it serves for the student body. It’s entirely made up of students who have submitted an application to volunteer their time. An ambassador may help guide a new student around, or work with fellow classmates who are going through a rough patch in their life through the buddy program. They’re also instrumental in events such as 9th grade day, and orientation at the beginning of the year. Overall, the ambassador program aims to make the transition to high school easier, as well as support those currently enrolled.

“I want to help people through high school,” said sophomore Ina Bhoopalam, a returning ambassador when asked why she chose to join the program. “I think it’s a good way to get involved and make a difference in your school,” said sophomore Alyah Janes, a new ambassador this year. “I wanted to be able to help some of my fellow classmates.” Generally, being an ambassador is about helping fellow classmates and representing the school well, as a way of helping make school less overwhelming.