Lincoln East High School's home of Spartan news

Lincoln East Varsity Softball Team Sweeps Columbus, improves to 13-1

Lincoln East Softball team swept a doubleheader against Columbus on Tuesday, September 5 at Doris Bair Softball Complex.

The first game was a close, low scoring affair, but the Spartans were able to pull through with a win thanks in large part to senior Rachel Weber, who hit a walk off triple in the bottom of the seventh to score the winning run. East prevailed to improve to 2-1 in games decided by 1 point this season. Senior Lindsay Elliott was the winning pitcher of the close game.

Senior shortstop Ellie Bliemeister slides safely into home during the 3rd inning of game 1 in a doubleheader against Columbus on Tuesday, September 5, 2017, at Doris Bair Softball complex in Lincoln, NE. East won the game 4-3, and they won the second game 9-5 to improve to 13-1 on the season.
Photo by Katie Lockhart

In the second game, East’s hitting got stronger in the fifth and sixth innings. In the first inning, senior first-baseman Chace Swanson hit a two run home run over the center field fence. During the next three innings, the Spartan bats were very quiet, but in the bottom of the fifth, senior Ellie Bliemeister hit a solo home run to tie the game at 3. East would continue to rally, prevailing in the seven inning game, 9-5. The winning pitcher was senior Madison Skiles, and Lindsay Elliott came in to finish the sixth for the save.

The Lincoln East Softball team has the HAC tournament this weekend coming in as the number one seed. The Spartans being their HAC tournament play Saturday, September 9 at Doris Bair Softball Complex, with first pitch scheduled for 10:00 am versus Lincoln Northeast High School.