Lincoln East High School's home of Spartan news

Do You Have What It Takes To Be a Princess?

Photo+By+Luke+Borgmann+
Photo By Luke Borgmann

This fall the musical “Cinderella” will be showcased at East High School.  Mrs. Self, the director of the musical, walked me through what it takes to put together a great show at East High School.

In the beginning of the school year, Mrs. Self reads through many different musicals.  While reading, she has to think of what the students will be able to handle, which actors will be available, and whether the content will be appropriate, among other things.

After she chooses a show, Mrs. Self turns to the opinion of her colleagues, then goes to the administration to get the musical approved.  Once approved, the casting begins.

Photo By Luke Borgmann

Mrs. Self says that producing a musical has “lots of moving parts,” especially with scheduling.  Many of the students in the musical are also in show choir, band, cheerleading, sports, and other activities. In the case of “Cinderella,” the director also had to think about who would make the best queen and fairy godmother because she knew many girls would like to try out for the show.  Though Mrs. Self often has an actor in mind when she reads a character’s part, auditions often change her mind.

Last year, the director chose the musical “Thoroughly Modern Millie,” which had many parts for males, but lacked spots for females.  Because she lost many of her male performers to graduation, Mrs. Self chose “Cinderella” partially because it offered more roles for female performers.  Little did she know that more guys would audition in 2017 than ever before. In total, 24 boys auditioned, with 89 total students hoping to get a role in the musical.

Photo By Luke Borgmann

The lead actors in “Cinderella” are senior Camryn Self as Cinderella, junior Turner Linafelter as The Prince, senior Madie Dumler as Fairy Godmother, and senior Hailey Van Genderen as Stepmother.  In total there are 55 performers in the musical, a 20  person pit orchestra, and 20 tech people.

This year’s musical has a lot more dancing in it than in years past.  To be specific, Cinderella has lots of waltzing and ballroom dancing, which are different than any other musicals East has done before.  Unlike anything that’s happened in previous years, a musical company from Omaha is coming to judge and critique one of the performances.  The students didn’t know about the guest judges, but Mrs. Self is excited to have this new experience.  If they perform well enough, the cast will be invited to an awards ceremony at the end of the year.

Photo By Luke Borgmann