Filed under Local News

Adding Up To Success

A+speaker+at+the+opening+ceremony+in+the+auditorium+at+UNL+Math+Day%2C+on+November+16%2C+2017%2C+informing+students+about+future+%0Apossibilities+in+math%0APhoto+by+Crystal+Xu.+
A speaker at the opening ceremony in the auditorium at UNL Math Day, on November 16, 2017, informing students about future 
possibilities in math
Photo by Crystal Xu.

A speaker at the opening ceremony in the auditorium at UNL Math Day, on November 16, 2017, informing students about future possibilities in math Photo by Crystal Xu.

A typical UNL Math Day entails many activities for competitors to partake in. Students from all over Nebraska arrive early in the morning, ready to represent their respective schools in rigorous math competition. From schools in Lincoln and Omaha to towns such as Scottsbluff, students with a passion for math gather at UNL annually to act on their math interest. The morning starts with students gathering to listen to various speakers from the UNL Math Department. Following the speakers, students individually participate in the multiple choice Problems Requiring Original and Brilliant Effort test, more commonly referred to as Probe I. The top fifty students from the Probe 1 test advance onto the Probe 2 test.

This year, multiple East students did well on the Probe I tests. Multiple students advanced onto Probe 2, and East participants Isaac Zhang, Crystal Xu, Joshua Lee, and Alix Cui all placed in the top 25 students at the event.

The quiz bowl team, made up of East students Crystal Xu, Isaac Zhang, and Josh Lee, placed first at UNL Math Day.

East High has traditionally had a high scoring history at past UNL Math Days. The group has gotten a first place cumulative score for many years in the past. East students from past competitions have enjoyed the event. “The opening ceremony, all the other teams and have fun and social and free tshirts and similar interests,” said Crystal Xu, when asked her favorite part about last year’s math day. “I enjoyed being around people who also shared an interest in math,” said junior Jennifer Wang.

On November, 16, 2017, 1,441 high school students from all over Nebraska participated in the 28th annual Math Day on the UNL campus. Once again, East came in first overall.