Little Free Libraries making a big difference at Clinton, Everett

Photo by Jane Holt

East sophomore Mya Miller paints a section of the litle free library at Everett.

Reading is one of the most integral pieces of our life. Books can tell stories, share messages and help educate the young, the old, anybody of any age. With the guidance of East librarian Jane Holt and FCS teacher Brittany Staack, some East students are making a difference in elementary schools throughout the Lincoln area. Little Free Libraries, which started in 2009 in Wisconsin, has served a countless number of people through more than 60,000 registered libraries worldwide. Now, the Spartans are taking on a project of their own, establishing these small, but powerful, libraries that bridge connections between students, parents and community members alike.

Everett Elementary, located at 12th and C near downtown Lincoln, is home to nearly 525 students. Of these students, 41% are classified as English language learners. 90% of students here would be classified as coming from impoverished families. To make things easier on the families, East High has been accepting donations for books to give to students at Everett as part of the Little Free Libraries project. It’s a partnership Everett principal Mike Long wants to continue, saying, “We really appreciate the support.” 

While East’s district covers many square miles sprawling from Holdrege to Rokeby, Everett is bounded north-south by only 18 blocks. East being the home district for luxurious neighborhoods such as Firethorn and IronGate, a majority of the Everett community is poverty-stricken. The thing these schools have in common: books. Textbooks, personal reading books, eBooks, online magazines, you name it.

Photo by Jane Holt
Everett students work on making Goodie Grapes with junior Meegen Hovorka.

They’re the reason that some of our own students are going to these schools and donating their time and resources. One East senior, Morgan Dondlinger, has dived right into the volunteer waters at Everett this year. She said, “Assisting with other activities at the school, Everett really is a great place. I like volunteering there because I can see the impact I’m making.”

Of course, Everett isn’t the only school getting some book love. Clinton Elementary, a school with a 63% minority rate near 29th & Holdrege in north Lincoln, is establishing a little library of their own with book donations brought to them by Spartan students. Some of which also attended the food drive that the school host on the first Tuesday of every month. The drive was not only just helping setup and teardown, but also getting to know who the kids are and what they’re interested in, which apparently includes Minecraft, pizza and dogs. The students recently began the work on painting their little free library, which should be completed this semester.

Volunteering is a big aspect of student life, whether you’re looking at it for GoPo/Civics hours or just want to enhance your resume for college. The impact being made is far reaching and everlasting. For information on joining the LFL Project @ Clinton, contact Ms. Holt ([email protected]) and to read more about Little Free Libraries head over to littlefreelibrary.org