Spartan Sports Week in Review 4/30-5/5

The+Lincoln+East+varsity+baseball+team+faced+off+against+Omaha+North+at+Millard+West+on+Friday%2C+May+4.++East+won+9-1.+
The Lincoln East varsity baseball team faced off against Omaha North at Millard West on Friday, May 4.  East won 9-1.

The Lincoln East varsity baseball team faced off against Omaha North at Millard West on Friday, May 4. East won 9-1.

Photo by @EastSpartans/Twitter

Photo by @EastSpartans/Twitter

This past week of Spartan athletics led to the conclusion of boys and girls soccer, as well as baseball.  Here is a recap of the action.

Girls Soccer

Entering the A-5 district on Tuesday, May 1, the Spartans faced off against Lincoln Northeast at Omaha Westside.  Before stoppage due to weather, the Spartans went up 1-0 with under four minutes to go in the 1st half. The district semifinal resumed on Wednesday at Seacrest Field, as the Spartans beat the Rockets 3-1, advancing onto the district final Thursday against top-seeded Omaha Westside.  Despite an amazing effort from the Spartans, the girls dropped the state qualifier 2-1 following a late Westside goal. East finishes the season 10-6.

Boys Soccer

The boys varsity soccer team played in the A-6 district on Monday, April 30 at Seacrest Field against city rival Lincoln Southeast.  Due to poor weather conditions, the Spartans played a late 9 o’clock game, beating the Knights 1-0 thanks to a late goal by senior Jordan Stoehr.  East advanced to the district final, but lost a heartbreaker to Grand Island, 1-0, in Grand Island on Wednesday, May 2. The Spartans fail to make state, and end the season 8-8.

Baseball

East finished up the regular season on Monday, April 30 at Elkhorn High School, losing 15-7.  The Spartans began district play on Friday, May 4 at Millard West in the A-3 district. In their first game against Omaha North, East came out on top, winning in dominating fashion, 9-1.  Advancing to play host Millard West Saturday morning, the Spartans came out flat, eventually losing 7-0. The Spartans end their season 6-18.

About the Writer
Chelsie Caulfield, Sports Editor
My name is Chelsie Caulfield, and I am a junior at East.  This is my second year as part of the Oracle staff, and first full year as the Sports editor.   I love to play volleyball, and enjoy watching and following sports.  I chose to be a part of the Oracle staff to learn more...