Filed under 2018-2019, News, Showcase

Apple launches three iPhones, new watch

The new iPhone Xs and Xs Max were announced Wednesday at Apple Park. They will go on sale for pre-order starting September 14.

Photo courtesy of Apple. All rights reserved.

The new iPhone Xs and Xs Max were announced Wednesday at Apple Park. They will go on sale for pre-order starting September 14. Photo courtesy of Apple. All rights reserved.

Photo by Apple

Photo by Apple

Apple announced Wednesday that it plans to sell three new iPhone models in the coming weeks, in addition to a refreshed Apple Watch. At the Special Event located in luxurious Apple Park, the media gathered to be the first to hear of the new devices. Starting with the Apple Watch Series 4, the company added a larger display, a new collection of bands, a more efficient processor. As these devices are more commonly used in the health scene, several new features were added including fall detection, an ECG sensor, and reminders to take a deep breath every now and again. The new watch will be available for pre-order September 14th, and ready for pickup on the 21st. GPS models start at $399, and LTE models at $499.

Next, we have the iPhone Xs. Like previous iPhones, this phone is available in Silver, Space Gray, and Gold. Apple has improved upon the durability of the device, making it IP68 certified. This certification means that you can possibly take the phone for a quick dip in the pool or a stroll through the Sahara. Battery life has been amped up a bit, which is great for those of who can’t put our phones down. We’ve also got the new A12 processor – guaranteed to make everything you do on your phone faster and even more efficient. This year, Apple made the X series available in a larger 6.5-inch model, known as the iPhone Xs Max. It includes all the features of the iPhone Xs, with the biggest battery of any iPhone. Pricing for these two models ranges from $999 to $1449.

The fun doesn’t stop there, as Apple announced one more iPhone, the XR. This iPhone is reminiscent of the iPhone 5c from years ago, as it’s available in blue, coral, yellow, red, black and white. It’s feature set is similar to that of the iPhone Xs line, upping the display to 6.1-inches, but opting for a single camera lens and removing the 3D Touch feature. This new iPhone will be available starting mid-October for the price of $749.

Photo by Apple
The new Apple Watch Series 4 was announced Wednesday at Apple Park. They will go on sale for pre-order starting September 14. Photo courtesy of Apple. All rights reserved.

What are your thoughts on these new devices? We’d love to hear your comments, and be sure to let us know in our poll! 

Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

About the Writer
Jordan Brandt, Online Editor

Jordan Brandt is a senior at East High School and is a reporter, & digital expert for the Oracle. Brandt has a Brussels griffon dog named Bella. Brandt enjoys reading articles on new and developing technology and the local news. He likes iced coffee and passion fruit teas from Starbucks and Dunkin’ Donuts. He will be going to college after graduation, where he doesn’t know what he’ll be doing but is always up and ready for a new adventure. Some goals for the future will be traveling around the world, studying abroad, and pursuing a degree while in college. He’s excited for what the future withholds as there is always a chance to discover.