Lincoln East High School's home of Spartan news

The Custodial Staff: Making East Great

It’s a cold rainy morning. Everyone is running up the hill from the lot, trying to get out of the rain as fast as possible. Students rush inside dragging their muddy and rain soaked feet over the rugs and track into the hallway. None of them even think twice about doing this, and don’t stop to clean it up because everyone knows that someone else is going to do it for them. The custodial staff at East High is probably the best staff there is. They always have a smile for all of us. But one man in particular makes an effort every single day to improve the lives of every path he crosses. Everyone knows the man I’m talking about. The man at lunch that stands by the trash can who always will ask you how your day is going, and give you a smile every single time.  But does anyone actually know his name? He always asks you how your day is going, he always has something positive to say and he always looks like the happiest man. Even when you’re walking down the hall, he will literally stop in his tracks to talk to you and make sure you’re okay. But here’s the disappointing part, hardly anyone knows his name or anything about him. How sad is that? Even I don’t know his name. The reality is very few of us know any of the names of the people who make our school run, and the people who clean our messes, and make our classrooms safe and healthy for us to be in. They are amazing people. East High would not be the same without them, and everyone needs to appreciate them more. Not just the man who smiles at you, all of them. So next time you attempt to throw the bottle in the trash can, and miss and don’t pick it up, or make a mess with your lunch food and just leave it there, or track your muddy feet into the hallway, think of the people who will have to clean up after you. It is not an easy job to clean up after teenagers all day every single day. Be more appreciative of the people who help make this school the great and safe place that it is.