Swimming and Diving Preview

After a promising performance by Lincoln East’s varsity swimming and diving team last year, head coach Ryan Rieker is looking forward to the upcoming season.  Between the addition of incoming freshman and returning swimmers, East has an exciting season in the works.  Rieker expects the biggest team he’s had in the last 5 or 6 years.

Last year’s girl’s team included 36 swimmers and divers.  East won 7 of 8 dual matches, with their only loss coming to eventual state championship, Southwest.  The divers had a strong season, and were able to put points up on the board early at meets.  Leadership roles will need to be fulfilled this season, but overall Rieker and his coaching staff know that his girl’s team has great potential.

On the other hand, the boys team was significantly smaller and had no divers. They won 5 of 8 dual matches and finished 13th at state, 8th in conference.  East suffered two close losses during the regular season, losses within only 20 points.  Rieker is excited to see his team continue to build on last seasons successes.

Senior leadership is big for the Spartans.  Josh Roh returns for his fourth and final season with the Spartans, after placing 3rd at state in the 200 and 500 free.  Roh hopes to build on the improvements made last season, and continue to bring energy to the pool.

“I think the end of the season didn’t go as well as a lot of us had hoped, but overall placement ended up being pretty good,” said Roh.

Seven boys and girls return with state experience.  Rieker is confident that East has all the weapons needed to push themselves back into the top 10 teams in the state.

“Overall,” says Rieker, “I look forward to seeing this year’s team stepping up to a very challenging season.”