Twitter Day

Twitter+Day

Lincoln East High School, along with the schools of LPS, OPS, and neighboring school districts of Nebraska celebrated two snow days this week.

The days-off prompted a storm of social media, especially on twitter. Students from all over the district tweeted @LPSorg, Lincoln Public School’s twitter handle with pleas, debates, and suggestions for the pending snowstorm. They have a large following of watchful students: their tweet announcing a snow day on Tuesday amassed over 500 retweets five minutes after it was posted.

IMG_20160205_123120

Mr. Chuck Morgan, a social studies teacher at East High, is a well-known predictor of snow days, and claims an almost perfect record of snow day forecasts. @weather4us has given students hope and disappointed dreams of sleeping in since 2011.

IMG_20160205_123041 (3)

Mr. Morgan accumulated some controversy with his tweets about the second snow day LPS called at 5:30am Wednesday morning. In his first comment on Wednesday, he stated “Who sends kids out into that?”, which sparked a barrage of tweets to LPS from students who hoped for a second snow day.

IMG_20160205_123103

The movement faltered, however, when a few hours later Morgan tweeted “Gotta reverse my call, it won’t be fun in the morning, but it will be above freezing. I believe we will have school.”

Fortunately for the students of the LPS district, Mr. Morgan’s latest tweet was ultimately wrong, as LPS last-minute called a snow day for that Wednesday, causing celebration is households across Lincoln.

IMG_20160205_123137