Hug a Tree, Go Green, BYOB

Scattered around the hallways of Lincoln East are the familiar, lone, blue recycle bins. LPS has installed the recycling containers in all of its schools in an effort to make the district more environmentally friendly. Although, the LPS administrators are not the only members of the district excited to take a role in keeping the environment clean.

The Eco Club at Lincoln East has kicked off a year of initiatives and  events to help educate and involve the East High Community in going green. Eco Club member Naila Muslic is eager to involve East students in the events that Eco club has planned.

“We want students to choose to bring their own water bottle to school instead of buying the plastic bottles in the nurse’s office and cafeteria. The BYOB movement will lead to a big reduction in our plastic waste,” said Muslic.

The initiative will involve a raffle system that will reward students for bringing their own bottles to school in late February.

Eco club plans to reduce East’s waste in many ways. Members hope to install a composting system and food reuse system to reduce the amount of thrown out food. Also, the club hopes to reduce the amount of paper towels students use in the school restrooms.

“People should be educated about the impact they have on the environment,” said Muslic.

The club will show a video to students throughout the school day on Arbor Day to explain the importance of the environment and our role in preserving it. Eco club will make an influence at East that will help push the school towards going green, getting educated, and taking the initiative to care for the environment!