A New Wave of Technology

In the United States ninety percent of adults own cell phones, and nearly sixty-seven percent find themselves checking their phones for messages or alerts even when they haven’t received a notification.  For many of us these statistics have encompassed our lives, in what can be debated as a positive or negative thing.  But with the increase in technology in our world, some scientists have developed technology that can allow us to explore the depths of the ocean in new ways.  Formally named “OceanOne” is a human-like bot designed to dive underwater and explore the ocean.  While being able to stay in the ocean longer and deeper than any human physically can, the bot is a breakthrough in the ocean exploring world. The bot was originally designed to study coral reefs in the Red Sea, but has recently made an amazing discovery.  The mermaid-like divebot has discovered a small vase from the wreck of “La Lune” a Louis XIV flagship that sunk in 1664.  The bot successfully completed the intended mission and came back with a recovered artifact from the ship.  The incredible robot created by Oussama Khatib, a Stanford computer science professor, and his students could be the key to finding new and exciting discoveries in the ocean.