What’s going on in FACS?

Amanda Finnell works on her color wheel in Brittany Staack’s interior design class.

There are many things going on in FACS right now! From babies to brownies, there are no shortage of events going on. Let’s start with Culinary Foundations. Ms. Keep’s classes have made carrot cake cupcakes and crepes. I’m actually in her class and the crepes were so much fun to make and tasted great too! We have also been learning about measuring, and more recently, knife skills. Ms. Staack’s culinary classes have been very busy with stir fries, chicken pot pies, and soon will be starting on cheesy potato soups—yum! Finally Ms. Graulty’s classes have made zucchini bread. Moving onto Human Behavior with Ms. Daly, the students have learned about culture, what it is and how it makes us who we are. They also discussed how prejudices and stereotypes can affect our interactions and relationships with others. Now they are moving over to personality where they will be taking several quizzes and started with one that was based on primary colors. Now it’s time for Infants and Toddlers! Students are preparing for a professional practicum experience where they will go and visit daycares and help out with the babies. Students will learn the basics on caring for children. LifeSpan Development is also working with toddlers – why they have tantrums and how they develop both physically, intellectually, socially, and emotionally. Intro to Health Science students are writing a journal-like report where they support their opinions on topics like abortion and marijuana. Guest speakers also came on September 22 from the Nebraska Community Blood Bank, Laura Bennett, and Rachel Bath, to talk about blood banks and why blood is important. Stay tuned for more going on in the world of Family and Consumer Sciences.