A Selfless Act

On Friday October 28th, Lincoln East hosted its annual blood driver.  It is estimated that around 90 gave blood.  Whether the students wanted to give as a good deed or to get out of class, it’s still a great number.   Maybe students just wanted the unlimited cookies and apple juice that was given to you.  I followed Miles Wilkins throughout his journey of giving blood.  When you give blood, you squeeze a ball and each time you squeeze blood comes out.   It took him around 6 minutes to finish the blood giving process and he was feeling kind of light headed.  He also took full advantage of the complementary juice and cookies. He had four cookies and three apple juices. Miles was one of the big advocates for the Jurassic Park themed homecoming, so it was only right for him to get a dinosaur bandage.  He said, “Giving blood is the future and I’m honoring the past with a dinosaur bandage.”

Me personally, I was too chicken to give blood and gave the excuse that I didn’t have a parent signature.  Another excuse that people had to not give blood was that they are an athlete.  Football players, Apollonaires, and even cheerleaders were not able to give blood last Friday.

Giving blood is a selfless act and the people that gave blood last Friday did a great deed.  Many students can now enjoy the feeling of accomplishment knowing that they helped save lives.