Dispensing Creativity

Dispensing+Creativity

Check out the new addition to East’s library. This blast from the past was recently purchased by Jane Holt, the head librarian, and adds a bit of a vintage flair to the library. It’s a fully functional candy machine, and works as it did many years ago. Holt has originally seen something similar at the Ross Medias Art Center, by the name of the Art-O-Rama. She had always wanted something similar to be brought to East, and she simply couldn’t resist after seeing the machine on Craigslist. For a mere fifty dollars, East’s library was able to gain a unique machine. The library was initially interested in selling actual candy, such as small packs of mint or gum, but the request to do so was denied.
After the notion of selling candy had been refused, the library shifted the focus to hopes of selling items made by students. The plan is to have students create small projects that could be sold to others in the school through the vending machine. Potentially, Art, FACS, and Woodshop classes would create these projects. The projects are expected to be put into small boxes that will be dropped down upon purchase. Although this isn’t expected to bring a large influx of cash, the proceeds will go to the various clubs and classes that contribute to the machine. The library would like to keep the price around $.50 per item. Holt says that after some time, students not apart of the contributing classes may be able to submit their individual work upon approval. They would like to have it functioning and ready to dispense creativity by the end of this semester, but the future plans for the machine are still being decided.
Stop by the library and check it out, and get ready to bring some loose change in coming months to purchase handmade goods!