Lincoln East High School's home of Spartan news

East’s Student Section

The heart of a team lays within their student section.  A crowd of diehard fans ready to cheer on their team, and compete with the opponents student section.  Complete with themes, a whiteboard for cheers, and rowdy fans, any game can quickly become a home game.  

Each year the torch is passed down as to who has the honor of leading the student section.  This year’s student section leader, senior John Kubert, is excited to lead the student section this year, and values his role.  “I think the student section makes it a fun experience for the fans and players, and is a great opportunity for everybody to have fun and support the school.”  Kubert was chosen by We Are Sparta, an athlete leadership group at East, to lead the student section.  Each game has a new theme, Kubert’s favorites being USA and throwback.  Other popular themes include camo, tropical, blue or white out, and Jersey Thursday.  

East follows the infamous rule of seniority regarding where students are allowed to sit in the student section, but even if you’re a freshman in the back, the expectation is to cheer loud.  A whiteboard is used to communicate chants and cheers.  East prides itself on their high level of sportsmanship, and won the 2016 Class A Basketball Sportsmanship Award, along with a girls’ basketball state championship.  

The student section offers students the opportunity to support fellow classmates outside of the classroom, and have a good time while doing it.