Filed under 2018-2019, Showcase, Sports

Spartans football falls short against Warriors

Back to Article
Back to Article

Senior quarterback Devin Beckner lines up in the shotgun against Omaha Westside in the first round of the NSAA state playoffs on Friday, October 26th.  Westside won the game 34-7.

Senior quarterback Devin Beckner lines up in the shotgun against Omaha Westside in the first round of the NSAA state playoffs on Friday, October 26th. Westside won the game 34-7.

Photo by Jeremiah Zimmerman

Photo by Jeremiah Zimmerman

Photo by Jeremiah Zimmerman

The Spartan football season has concluded after losing to Omaha Westside 34-7 in the first round of the state playoffs.  The East offense never found a rhythm until a drive late in the fourth quarter, topped off by a 1-yard touchdown run from Blake Ingamells, putting the Spartans on the scoreboard.  “They created problems for us all night long and we had trouble blocking ‘em upfront,” said head coach John Gingery. “We just couldn’t get started. There’s a reason why they’re (Omaha Westside) one of the top teams in the state.”

Health was one of the key factors for the Spartans all season long.  “Those injuries, they add up,” said Gingery. “Those aren’t excuses but you know, that was tough.”  The Spartans finish with a 5-5 (including the loss to Westside) overall record and a 3-1 district record.  East lost three of their first four games, but only by a total of 18 points. “We deserve to be here,” expressed Gingery.  “We should’ve beat Southeast, should’ve beat Southwest. We’re a good football team but we just came up a little bit short.”  During the regular season, the Spartan defense held their opponents to only 95 total points. “Those kids have never quit, we had one of the best defenses in the state all year,” stated Gingery.  East will graduate 25 senior football players, but is excited about the future. Next year’s roster is expected to be young and East is looking forward to what lies ahead over the next few years.

About the Writer
Jeremiah Zimmerman, Staff Writer

Senior, Jeremiah Zimmerman, is one of the many new staff members on the 2018-2019 Oracle team. With this being his first year on the newspaper, he’s...