Filed under 2018-2019, News, Showcase

Student Vote gives students an early taste at democracy

A laptop is displayed with the StudentVote login screen. Students had the opportunity starting at 8 am this morning until 4 pm today to vote.

Photo by Jordan Brandt

Photo by Jordan Brandt

The first day of November means it’s time for Student Vote in East High and other high schools! Student Vote makes a student’s voice heard in the city, state, and national levels. It gives the opportunity to vote for six issues, ranging from State Senator, Governor, Secretary of State, and issues such as Medicaid Expansion.

Student vote is so important because student opinions are often suppressed by older leaders in our community and nation. Now we have the chance to get thoughts and opinions out there. Most social studies teachers should be giving the opportunity to vote in class, and even if you aren’t in a social studies class this quarter, you can still vote! The link to Student Vote is posted on your class’s google classroom.

Also, coming up on November 6 is the big voting day for students and adults 18 and over who are registered to vote. Make your voice heard – go vote!

About the Contributors
Maddie Abele, Staff Writer

Sophomore staff writer Maddie Abele looks forward to joining the 2018-2019 Oracle staff.  Maddie was inspired to take on newspaper following the journalism class she took last year.  ¨“I like to write and I did journalism last year so I was encouraged to do newspaper,¨ said Maddie.  Outside of class, Maddie enjoys singing, and is a part of the Lincoln East show choir. Through choir, Maddie has had the opportunity to visit New York City, and sing at the infamous Carnegie Hall.  Although Maddie is excited for the upcoming year, she isn’t sure if she will use the experiences and skills she learns in newspaper in her future. Maddie dreams of being a Disney Imagineer. Imagineer’s work to create improvements to the parks and come up with new concepts and themes.  Overall, Maddie hopes to make an impact through her work. “I want to write something that people can enjoy and take something away from.”

Jordan Brandt, Online Editor

Jordan Brandt is a senior at East High School and is a reporter, & digital expert for the Oracle. Brandt has a Brussels griffon dog named Bella. Brandt enjoys reading articles on new and developing technology and the local news. He likes iced coffee and passion fruit teas from Starbucks and Dunkin’ Donuts. He will be going to college after graduation, where he doesn’t know what he’ll be doing but is always up and ready for a new adventure. Some goals for the future will be traveling around the world, studying abroad, and pursuing a degree while in college. He’s excited for what the future withholds as there is always a chance to discover.