Filed under 2018-2019, Showcase, Sports

Spartan cross country finishes strong

The+East+varsity+runners+smile+with+their+district+champions%27+plaque%2C+after+a+successful+district+meet+for+the+boys+and+girls+alike.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Spartan cross country finishes strong

The East varsity runners smile with their district champions' plaque, after a successful district meet for the boys and girls alike.

Photo by Kevin Hubbell (courtesy)

Photo by Kevin Hubbell (courtesy)

Photo by Kevin Hubbell (courtesy)

With the fall sports season coming to a close, it’s important to highlight East High’s cross county teams.  The girls team overcame adversity at the state meet and came out victorious. “The two previous seasons we were so close to winning it all, and we had a few things go against us,” said coach Brian Kabourek.  “This year, it’s not like we had the best day at state, but we did enough to win.” The boys team made it to the state meet for the first time in four years. “We were not a shoo-in to make it to state and so we really had to run well the day of districts, and we did exactly that,” said Kabourek.

Thomas Oliver delivered a standout performance at the state meet, becoming East High’s first boys state medalist in five years.  The boys also had three medalists at districts and two medallists at city. This year, the girls runners did a good job controlling what they can control.  “We had very few obstacles to overcome last year. I thought things came very easy from week to week,” stated Kabourek. “This year, we dealt with a lot of adversity from week to week.  Injuries, illnesses, different things like that and we came through, we handled that so I think that prepared us for any problems that we had later in the season.” The boys runners were more experienced this year and did a better job of preparation, as expected.  “The guys have done a good job of controlling what they can control all season and simply improving all year and that’s what we did at the very end was improve,” declared Kabourek. The boys and girls teams both achieved their goals this season, steady and consistent improvement.

About the Writer
Jeremiah Zimmerman, Staff Writer

Senior, Jeremiah Zimmerman, is one of the many new staff members on the 2018-2019 Oracle team. With this being his first year on the newspaper, he’s...