Portables causing problems

Easts+two+portables+right+outside+of+the+main+entrance.+

Photo by Raven Pinkerton

East’s two portables right outside of the main entrance.

In recent years East High’s population has been steadily increasing and the total amount of students in attendance this year is easily over two thousand. East High is running out of room so in order to accommodate all of the students, we have recently gained two portables in front of the school building. They started construction on the portables in middle of last year with slow progression, finishing them a few weeks prior to school beginning. They are not much of an issue except for the fact that they were built on the band practice field.

Mr. Thorpe, East’s band director had this to say, “The portables adjusted our field alignment, in order to make up for lost space we had to move the band back”, “our field now goes from the ten yard line to ten, instead of going from goal to goal.” Although Mr. Thorpe lost some space on the field he feels like it’s only a minor inconvenience.  “The part we lost was not really being used, and it’s not a huge difference.”  

Hanna Brandt a senior and a member of the Lincoln East marching band said that “It was more convenient when they weren’t there, and it’s more like a minor annoyance more than anything.” Hanna also feels that there needs to be a long term solution to this problem, like building another high school, rather than just continuing to fill up the band field with portables. There are classes in the portables all day long including first period, and the band is also on the field first period. 

Katie Ullman a freshman, has photography in the portables during first period every day and she feels like it is the equivalent of a cheap house and the air conditioning can be very loud. “They are very spacious, and we can’t hear the band at all. The outside kind of looks like a prison, but overall they are very nice.” 

All in all the portables are more of an annoyance than a problem. However many expressed their opinions on the fact that there needs to be a long term solution to growing numbers, and sooner rather than later.