Lincoln East Cross Country Team Dominates Titan Classic

Photo by Brian Kabourek

(L-R) Hudson Davy (10), Isaac Graff (11), Joe Volkmer (12), Drew Arduser (11), Brayden Franks (12), Jordyn Wissing (10), Mia Murray (10), Brookelyn Rasmussen (10), Ella Herzberg (9), Peyton Svehla (10), Berlyn Schutz (11), Izzy Apel (11), at Papillion La Vista South on September 4th. Both girls and boys varisty teams take home first place plaques.

Lincoln East Cross Country team dominates Titan Classic

Lincoln East boys and girls Cross Country dominated the Titan Classic hosted by Papillion La Vista South on Friday, September 10th. The meet took place at Walnut Grove Park in Omaha, Nebraska.

It was the first meet of the Spartan’s season, and varsity boys and girls both claimed first place. East boys had 5 runners finish in the top 15, including Senior Brayden Franks (14), Sophomore Hudson Davy (7), Junior Drew Arduser (5), Junior Isacc Graff (4), and Senior Joe Volkmer (2), In cross country, you want a low score, and that is exactly what the boys accomplished with a score of 32 points. The Spartan’s strategy has a lot to do with maintaining a good position in the first 3k and really turning over and owning the last 2k.

“I think [the meet] went really well,” Volkmer stated. “We got a good group of guys that work hard and that’s a recipe for something good.”

As for the girls, 7 runners finished in the top 15, including Sophomore Brookelyn Rasmussen (14), Junior Berlyn Schutz (12), Sophomore Jordyn Wissing (11). Freshman Ella Herzberg (8), Sophomore Peyton Svehla (7), Junior Izzy Apel (5), and Sophomore Mia Murray who finished first overall with a time of 19 minutes and 58 seconds. Girls won the meet with 29 points. The girls team is notorious for running in packs. Something their coach often tells them is to “run as one,” which helps teammates encourage each other throughout the race.

“I felt we competed,” Coach Brian Kabourek said. “We had a plan, we went out there, and for the most part, we executed.”

The Spartan’s have a lot to look forward to throughout the rest of their season. “I’m looking forward to getting to go to more meets and having the experiences with my teammates,” Sophomore Mia Murray states, which she had the opportunity to do again at Millard South, September 10th, and Harald Scott, September 16th.