East students take ASVAB

Photo by Nguyen Dang Hoang Nhu

Nguyen Dang Hoang Nhu, License by: unsplash.com

The ASVAB Career Exploration Program aptitude test estimates your capacity for academics & vocational endeavors. It also assists you on finding your interest inventory that measures your work-related interests. Even though this is one of the entry tests for the military, the test results will not be released to the military.

The ASVAB Career Exploration Program took place at East High School on November 18, 2021. The career exploration specialist will also be back on December 9th at 9am in order to return the students review results and give test interpretation, advice and feedback.

The ASVAB career test consists of 8 different categories: (GI) general science, (AR) arithmetic reasoning, (WK) word knowledge, (PC) paragraph comprehension, (MK) mathematics knowledge, (EI) electronics information, (AS) auto & shop information, and lastly (MC) mechanical comprehension.

Two out of the many people at East high school that took this test are Sabrina Benford who is a senior at East, and Jada Vogel who is a sophomore at East. They each have different goals for their future and they each took the test to inform them more on career goals that are best suited for them.

“I have always wanted to know what I am good at and what career would be best for me, and none of the quizzes that are online never seem to give clear answers,” Vogel said. “I also feel like it is just a good opportunity to learn more about my strengths and weaknesses. Also provides good practice for other standardized testing.

“Based on what it is, It gives me majors I should go into that I would be more interested in because It says I will do better in that area and I can be interested in it,” Benford said.

During your high school years teachers push the idea of figuring out exactly what you want your future to look like, so this test can help you take your first step into figuring out what that’s going to look like.

“I have applied to the engineering pathway at TCA and hope that it will lead to some engineering fields such as design and drafting, architecture, or other fields,” Vogel said. “I have also considered a career in business, agriculture, or law, kind of all over the place. I am hoping this test will help steer me in some direction to getting that narrowed down.”

If you are stuck in that middle phase where you have ideas where you want to go to college but just have no clue what you want to major in, the ASVAB Career Exploration Program can be a great way to see what career paths are best for your interests. The test also provides you with a better idea of your strengths and weaknesses and how you can apply that to your career choice and education, so you don’t have to spend a lot of money on college for a degree that you won’t ever enjoy or use.