October celebrates LGBTQ history

Photo by "Pride Flag" by Rawpixel.com is licensed under CC0 1.0

October celebrates LGBTQ heritage month. One purpose of this month is to honor members of the LGBTQ community who have paved a trail for progression and representation.

Each month highlights something special and October is no different. October has officially been designated as LGBTQ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender. Queer) History Month and is celebrated widely with parades, picnics, workshops, etc.

LGBTQ history month came about after high school teacher Rodney Wilson suggested that there be a month dedicated to teaching the community about this groups’ history and greatest trailblazers. According to National Today, this month was also established to celebrate the history of the LGBTQ community and continuity to progress forward in obtaining rights.

“Pride Month is dedicated to the observance of community visibility and the movement toward equality, while LGBTQ History Month is an observance of the history of the gay rights and related civil rights movements,” Henry Ford College wrote in an article entitled “What LGBTQ Pride Month means”. With Pride Month being in June, many don’t know how October’s celebrations are different.

In schools, students and staff are being encouraged to participate in Ally week. This week was created to coincide with National Coming out Day on October 11. National today says that during National Ally week, students are encouraged to demonstrate their solidarity towards members of the LGBTQ community. The Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network (GLSEN) also informs people that one purpose of Ally Week is to combat language, bullying and harrsment in school, especially against LGBTQ youth. This year’s Ally week starts on November 7 and runs through November 11, with each day featuring a different topic which can be further investigated at Solidarity Week – November 7-11, 2022

“LGBTQ history month is a chance to reflect on those who came before me and set the groundwork and to celebrate the achievements of, lives, and impacts of people like Martha P Johnson, Matthew Shepard, Harvey Milk, Sally Ride, Felix Gonzalez-Torres, We’Wha, and Bayard Rustin,” LGBTQ student support representative Charles Pratt said.

This month is important to recognize members of the LGBTQ community that have made differences. Lincoln Public schools is making strides to be more inclusive, especially of the LGBTQ community. This month is a wonderful time to recognize those of the LGBTQ community who have paved the way for progression and further rights.