Idaho murders: Possible suspect arises in quadruple homicide of college students

Bryan Kohberger was arrested on December 30, 2022, for the murders of four University of Idaho students. Details of his background have left the public feeling unsettled by this horrific case.

Photo by Photo "Jail Images" by RawPixel is licensed under CC0 1.0 Universal

This is Part Two of a deepdive on the Idaho Murders. To read Part One of the Idaho Murder, click on this link https://lehsoracle.com/29039/news/idaho-murders-gruesome-quadruple-homicide-shocks-the-public/

“Was anyone else arrested?” was the ominous question asked by 28 year old Bryan Kohberger after he was apprehended for the murders of four University of Idaho students on December 30, 2022 in Albrightsville, Pennsylvania. Kohberger was charged with four counts of first degree murder and felony burglary. He was a Washington State Ph.D. student studying criminal justice and in the criminology department, residing in Pullman, just 8 miles from the house of the four victims.

Police began searching for a white Hyundai Elantra at the end of November, after surveillance videos showed the vehicle on King Road around the time of the murders. Washington State police reported Kohberger to have registered a car matching this description, setting off a search for more evidence on the suspect.

In attempts to gain more information on Kohberger, police were granted search warrants for his phone records on the days surrounding and of the murders. Further investigation concluded that the phone was turned off between 2:47 a.m. and 4:48 a.m. on the morning of November 13, 2022. Other movements from the cell were consistent with the white Hyundai that officials had been tracking.

Agents took DNA from a knife sheath left in the King Road residence, and were able to match it with a sample from the trash at Kohberger’s residence. With this, the Idaho State Lab found the DNA from the trash to have been genetically matched with what was left on the sheath. The probable cause affidavit (document detailing evidence) reads that “at least 99.9998% of the male population would be expected to be excluded from the possibility of being the suspect’s biological father.”

This conclusion led to the issuing of an arrest warrant and Kohberger was taken prisoner shortly after these discoveries were made.

Unsealed court documents shared that investigators hoped to find trace evidence of the murders in Kohberger’s apartment. Officers obtained several hair strands, a pillow with reddish-brown stains, one nitrite glove, receipts, a Fire TV Stick, and more. Whether or not anything has come from these findings is unclear as of now.

Police were intentionally secretive with what they shared with the public in order to avoid clueing in the suspect of their findings, leaving the victim’s families in a frustrated state.

Steve Goncalves, the father of one of the victims, often openly expressed his feelings to the media. “We’re holding our tongue, we’re waiting patiently,” Goncalves said. “But we’re definitely concerned.”

Public speculation brought about a variety of unsettling details about Kohberger’s interest in criminology. Disturbing Reddit posts belonging to the suspect have surfaced, including a study asking convicts about their feelings and decision-making process regarding their criminal activity. He asked questions like “Why did you choose that victim or target above others?” and “After committing the crime, what were you thinking and feeling?”

Many Lincoln East students have been following this case since its start and have crafted their own theories about Kohberger. “There’s just something super off about that guy,” freshman Eva Zabel said. “All of the pieces fit and I have no doubt that he is the killer.”

A variety of alleged information has been unearthed by former classmates or friends. Many referenced his strong interest in crime dating back to his teen years, and he had recently applied to a job at his local police station. University students claimed to have seen him at the Idaho student union in weeks prior to the incident, along with alleged visits to the restaurant where victims Xana Kernodle and Madison Mogen were servers. Outside sources have led to an abundance of these disturbing details being revealed about the suspect.